Dating in a Pandemic: Ideas for Safe Dates
While many people have declared the pandemic over, much of the disabled and chronically ill population are still taking safety precautions. This can be especially hard in the dating space, but luckily, with Dateability, we have COVID-cautious users (you can event select “COVID-cautious” as a Dateability Deet)!
When you go on a first date or when you initially start dating someone, you may not feel comfortable being at home with a person. Here are some first/start of relationship date ideas!
- Outdoor Picnic: Find a scenic park or beach and pack a picnic basket with your favorite snacks and beverages. Enjoy a meal together while maintaining a safe distance from others. Don’t forget to bring a blanket, sunscreen, and hand sanitizer.
- Hiking or Nature Walks: Explore the great outdoors with a nature hike. Choose a trail that is less crowded, and be sure to bring water, comfortable footwear, and masks for when you encounter others on the trail.
- Virtual Cooking Date: Pick a recipe and cook the same meal together over a video call. You can even make it a competition to see who prepares the tastier dish. Sharing a meal you’ve both cooked can be a fun and intimate experience.
- Online Classes: Take advantage of online classes to learn something new together. Whether it’s a dance class, painting lesson, or even a language course, sharing the learning experience can be both educational and bonding.
- Outdoor Yoga or Workout: If you and your partner are into fitness, consider doing outdoor yoga or a workout session together. Many parks and open spaces provide ample room to exercise while maintaining distance.
- Stargazing: Find a spot away from city lights and enjoy stargazing. You can bring a telescope if you have one, or simply lay out under the night sky with a blanket and identify constellations together.
As the relationship progresses, you may feel more comfortable being inside maskless with your partner but want to remain safe from strangers.
- Movie Night at Home: Create a cozy movie night at home by watching a film or series you both enjoy. Make popcorn, dim the lights, and snuggle up on the couch. Virtual movie nights with synchronized streaming are also an option if you’re apart.
- Scenic Drive: Plan a scenic drive through picturesque landscapes or along a coastal route. You can stop at lookout points for photos or simply enjoy the ride while chatting and listening to music.
- Virtual Museum or Art Gallery Tour: Many museums and art galleries now offer virtual tours of their exhibits. Explore the world of art and culture together from the comfort of your own home.
- Board Games or Puzzles: Have a board game night or work on a challenging puzzle together. It’s a fantastic way to bond, stimulate your minds, and have fun without leaving your home.
- Takeout from Local Restaurants: Support local restaurants by ordering takeout or delivery and having a romantic dinner at home. You can even set the ambiance with candles and music.
It’s ok to ask your date to test before seeing you. Remember to wear a good mask (KN95 or better) and keep up with the current vaccinations. If you are feeling sick, reschedule the date!